Winter is finally here! This means a fair few more hours spend indoors for us, especially with Sienna being so little and it getting dark at 4pm. Afternoons are the perfect opportunity for us to bake whilst Sienna naps and Ruby’s favourite thing to make is gingerbread men – I think this is down to the tasty treats she gets to put on top! The recipe is very simple and it doesn’t take long to do…
370g plain flour
110g unsalted butter
180g light brown sugar
4 tablespoons of golden syrup
5 teaspoons of ground ginger
2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon of bicarbonate soda
You can use whatever sweet things you like, some things we like to use are:
1. Preheat oven to 180-190 degrees
2. Mix the flour, ginger, cinnamon, bicarbonate and butter all together. I find it easier to do this bit with my fingertips.
3. Add the egg, sugar and syrup to the mixture and it should now form a ball that you can roll out.
4. Use a flat surface and sprinkle plain flour on the dough and rolling pin. Roll out the dough until it’s about 1cm thick.
5. Use gingerbread men cutters and other shapes to make your biscuits.
6. Line a tray with baking paper and put your shapes on the tray leaving a bit of room between each one.
7. Pop them in the oven for 10-15 minutes.
8. Let them cool down and then cover them with icing.
9. Finally put on your decorations and then they are good to eat!